Butt Fact: The glutes are a key player in the running stride.
This exercise works the glute muscles especially the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus on the side of the hips.
Basic Version A
- Start on your hands and knees with shoulders stacked directly over the wrists and back flat.
- Keeping your knee bent, raise your right knee to the side and hold for a couple of seconds, squeezing your glutes.
- Lower it to the floor and repeat for 15 to 20 reps.
- Repeat with the other leg.
Basic Version B
Alternate the right and left legs as you go.
Basic Version C
Alternate your right and left legs and go as fast as you can. Do 30 to 50 reps which will raise your heart rate and make it more of a cardio burst.
- Start on your hands and knees as in the basic version.
- Keeping your knee bent, raise your right knee to the side. While your leg is raised, extend your lower leg out straight and hold for a second.
- Bend it and return your leg to the floor and repeat for 15 to 20 reps.
- Repeat for the other leg.
- Combine Fire Hydrants and Donkey Kicks into the same set by alternating legs and kicks.
- Do a Fire Hydrant with your right leg.
- Do a Fire Hydrant with your left leg.
- Do a Donkey Kick with your right leg.
- Do a Donkey Kick with your left leg.
- This is one rep.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 reps.