Butt Fact: I’m not aware of any song written about a skinny butt.
Seated Hip Abductions
This exercise can be done in gyms using a hip abduction machine. Some people hope that it will spot reduce the fat covering the hips. This is a false hope, as spot reduction doesn’t work. The actual goal of the exercise is to strengthen the muscles of the hips. Nutrition is what will help you lose the fat. Our version can be done at home using a band and a sturdy chair.
- Sit down at the end of a bench or on the edge of a sturdy chair.
- Wrap a band around your legs, just above your knees.
- Start with your knees about hip width.
- Contract your glutes and slowly separate your knees, stretching the band.
- Slowly allow your knees to return to starting position.
- Keep your upper body stationary and your back straight to prevent injuries.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 reps.
Many glute exercises can be done at home with little or no equipment. Bands can often be used as resistance, especially at the beginning of an exercise program.