Butt Fact: Because the glutes are large muscles, exercising them torches serious calories.
Like many of the glute exercises in our list of booty builders, the donkey kick also works your hamstrings and lower back.
- Get on hands and knees. (If you have knee issues and don’t have a mat, put your knees on a folded towel or small pillow. If you have wrist or shoulder issues, you can do these on your forearms instead of your hands.)
- Keeping core engaged, hips and shoulders square to the floor, right leg bent, and right foot flexed, slowly lift right leg until thigh is parallel with the floor.
- Hold for a couple of seconds while squeezing your butt muscles.
- Lower to starting position.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 reps, then switch legs to complete set.
As an alternative, you can keep your leg straight and raise and and lower it as a hip extension exercise.
As you get stronger, gradually increase the reps to 50 each side, alternating legs as desired. You’ll really feel it the next day.