Butt Fact: The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in the human body. A weak glute max can lead to poor posture and injuries.
Hip Bridge – Basic
This foundational exercise offers many advanced variations to challenge you as you get stronger. Start here with the basic version before you increase the difficulty.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, and place your hands down by your sides.
- Dig your heels into the floor and lift your hips up keeping your body in a straight line.
- Don’t arch your back or let your hips sag. Keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.
- Hold and squeeze your butt muscles for a couple of seconds.
- Lower your pelvis and repeat for 15 to 20 reps.
If you have trouble getting onto the floor to do hip bridges, you can do them on a bed, or a massage table if you’re lucky enough to have access to one.